Everyone is asking what is the difference between the two types of Botulintoxin A and B - Botox and Dysport. I got some feedback from a spa owner who administers both on herself and her clients.
- average costs $12 per unit
- usually need about 50 plus units for eyes, forehead and brow
- takes effect 5 to 10 days after administration
- effects last about 3 to 4 months
- average costs $4 per unit
- usually need about 100 units for eyes, forehead and brow
- takes effect 3 to 7 days after administration
- effects last about 4 to 5 months
Both Botox and Dysport stop the muscles in the face from moving, thus not allowing our face or skin to wrinkle while the toxin is effective. The main difference between the two is price and the amount of actual cc's, or units, that get injected into the face. Since Dysport is about $4 a unit, but you need twice as much, it comes out to be about $2 less per effective dosage. However the quanity od fluid injected in the face is double, so the needle will be in the face in each spot twice as long, about 3 seconds per shot, versus the 1.5 second per shot of Botox. Since either Botox or Dysport regular injections can be pretty pricey, Dysport is becoming more popular, but those that don't like the needle are sticking with Botox.
Not every spa or doctors office that administers Botox offers Dysport, so if that is what you are seeking, ask ahead.